I spoke with a audio-engineer in a local business in downtown Holland and found important information regarding the layout of this subwoofer box. The employee told me that for the specific subwoofer that I had, Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12, I need 1.0-1.03 cubic feet of air space, including the dimensions of the subwoofer. I have had to construct the dimensions of the walls in .75 inch thick MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard), to produce great sounding acoustics. I did not go into this assignment with much knowledge to begin with, but after learning about different concepts of sound and subwoofers, I have created this layout of what the subwoofer will form into.
Outside resource:
I visited a music/sound store on 23 E 8th St, Holland, MI 49423, where they sold a variety of speakers and headphones, hoping to gain some outside knowledge on the subject. I spoke with an employee at the building where firehouse guitars used to be and they told me that there is a certain formula to calculate the cubic feet in a box for subwoofers. (Length x Width x Height) in feet, which I would use my dimensions of a box: (14in x 18-.75in x 10-.75in) - the .28 cubic feet of the subwoofer to give me 1.1 cubic feet of air space in the box enclosure. (wedge would use the triangle area formula base x height x .5 using 8 and 12 inch lengths for the top and bottom plane pieces). This employee helped me greatly saying that a box enclosure is the most important part and that a curved enclosure can change the frequency of sound drastically because it affects the way the sound waves are projected. It shows that professionals in this field have know the sound engineering of how waves are projected, which I never would have guessed.

No comments:
Post a Comment